The Municipality of Grevena, faithful to its commitments to the local community, proceeds to the implementation of another development project that will contribute significantly to the strengthening of our tourism product and to the strengthening of our local economy through the substantial promotion of the unique Grevenio Nature.
In more detail, after coordinated efforts of the Municipal Authority, joined the local CLLD / LEADER program of the Fisheries and Maritime Operational Program (2014-2020) the Act “Creation of Infrastructure in the position“ Monastiri ”of T.D.. Island for the disabled service, for the safety of visitors, for the protection of the environment and the promotion of the forest recreation area as a point of interest ”.
particularly, this operation with a total budget 170.000 euro, concerns the regeneration of the forest recreation area located just outside the Community Island of the Municipality of Grevena and next to the longest river in the country, Aliakmonas. In this beautiful location with huge poplars, the age-old plane trees and the imposing rocks, The Nature-loving Association of Grevena organizes every summer from 2002 its famous sports and cultural events called "Yagouleia-River Spirit", as typically reflected in the images from the photographic archive of the Association.
The project includes a series of technical and environmental interventions as follows:
• the creation of an observatory-platform near the turn of the river that will project the water element of the area safely and comfortably
• the construction of a pedestrian bridge that will connect the observatory-platform with the event space
• the paving of a corridor which will connect the parking lot with the footbridge
• the installation of outdoor equipment such as benches, table benches and a large gazebo that will protect guests from sun and rain
• the installation of wooden fencing that will delimit the point, at the same time preventing the entry of vehicles during the events
• the supply of photovoltaic and battery luminaires that will provide energy autonomy
• the creation of wastewater management infrastructure with the corresponding construction of WC
• the creation of signs that will provide information material
• and finally the extensive cleaning of the path that leads to the place "Agioi Theodoroi"
With the completion of the works, a functional and well-organized recreation and sports area will be delivered to citizens and visitors, which will harmoniously combine the incomparable natural beauty of the area with the existence of modern infrastructure that will be easily accessible to our fellow citizens with disabilities..
In addition, a chronic and constant request of the members of the Nature Association of Grevena for the possibility of attracting more people and organizing larger cultural activities is finally being realized as their vision now takes shape with the substantial contribution of the Municipality of Grevena.