Dyslexia as well as other special learning disorders, manifested by significant deficiencies in the learning of school skills with the parallel failure to develop a skill at the appropriate age. See what signs in the little student's behavior should concern you.
It is not uncommon to hear parents and teachers say that "this child does not get the letters" or "he is lazy and disorganized" or "but how indifferent he can be to his lessons";»However, we should keep in mind that some children do not keep up with their classmates due to the existence of special learning difficulties. The reason, to the psychologist-psychotherapist Elpida Panagiotounakou.
The Special Learning Disorders, είναι οι διαταραχές οι οποίες εκδηλώνονται με σημαντικές ελλείψεις στην εκμάθηση των σχολικών δεξιοτήτων με την παράλληλη αποτυχία ανάπτυξης κάποιας ικανότητας στην κατάλληλη ηλικία. The term refers to a heterogeneous group of disorders, which manifest with significant difficulties in acquiring and using listening skills, speech, reading, writing, reasoning or mathematical ability. These disorders are native to the individual, attributed to Central Nervous System dysfunction and can exist throughout life.
Learning disorders although they occur at a very young age, they are usually not recognized until the child reaches school age. Therefore, A necessary criterion for determining them is that the child has started his / her education at the Primary School, to have normal IQ and not suffer from mental disorders.
Some clues that should concern you:
- The child is slow to understand the mechanism of reading, while even when he succeeds his reading speed is slower compared to his classmates
- He loses the "line" he reads and that is why he often underlines the words with his finger
- It is difficult to understand the text
- Does not follow punctuation
- He creates a word of his own facing a familiar syllable (e.g. child instead of children, handkerchief instead of candle)
- Replaces letters in the written word (e.g. θ-δ, β-φ, γ-χ)
- Inverts the order of the letters
- Omits syllables or letters
- It is difficult to delimit the writing
- Skips tons
- Has difficulty in writing the sentences correctly
- Has a weakness in following even basic spelling rules
However, in addition to difficulties in writing and reading, the child with special learning difficulties shows a series of difficulties in other areas as well.
- It is difficult in the sequences (e.g. what happened before - after, seasons, days, months)
- It can not operate under pressure or accept a lot of information together
- Shows weakness in memory
- He is often cluttered and unable to organize both his things and his time
- It is often characterized by distraction and hyperactivity
- Shows difficulty concentrating and premature fatigue
Learning disabilities can coexist with problems with self-control behaviors, as well as with problems of social perception and social interaction, without these being in themselves indications of learning disabilities.
In each case, because learning disabilities negatively affect not only the child's school performance, but also his emotional world, Early diagnosis and intervention is necessary. With the help of a Psychologist - Special Educator, the child's strengths can be used creatively to keep up with the needs of the school., while protecting his self-consciousness.