On the occasion of the start of the new school season, today (14-09-2020) in the morning, were distributed by uniformed personnel of the Services of the General Regional Police Directorate of Western Macedonia, brochures with road safety and traffic education tips and wishes for a good school year, to young students and parents, during their arrival for the established sanctification ceremony, in the school complexes of Grevena, of Kastoria, of Kozani and Florina.
This is an initiative of the Hellenic Police Headquarters, aimed at sensitizing parents to the observance of the rules of road behavior, especially when transporting students to and from school complexes, but also informing students about road safety and traffic education.
Through the specific brochures, give advice and describe in a simple and understandable way the basic rules of the Road Traffic Code to inform young students how to drive safely on the road to and from school, the use of pedestrian crossings, of sidewalks, their compliance with traffic lights etc.. In addition, contain useful instructions for parents, so as to provide proper traffic education to their children, setting a good example.
The General Regional Police Directorate of Western Macedonia, particularly aware of road safety issues and on the occasion of the start of the new school year, recalls some helpful tips for better informing parents, of the educators, but also drivers.
The parents they can:
- Look for and choose the safest route for their child to get to and from school.
- To travel this route many times with him, so as to capture it properly, to know all the peculiarities and peculiarities of the route and consequently the possible dangers.
- Teach him to stop on the sidewalk, before crossing to the opposite side of the road. Teach him to carefully control the road left and right and to cross it only when he is absolutely sure that no vehicles are passing.
- Teach him to understand correctly when a vehicle is far or near him. A bad estimate can lead to an accident.
- Always hold the child by the hand, which must walk on the inside of the sidewalk.
- Teach him that even at crosswalks he must be just as careful. In this case, too, the careful control of the road on the right and left applies.
- Especially in the evening, the yellow color on the child's clothes or reflective stickers, help drivers better understand its presence on the road.
- If there is a lack or damage to traffic lights or signs at school or on the road (road signs), to immediately inform the competent bodies.
Remember that parents are the ones who give the first traffic lessons to the child.
The school principals and teachers, to help enhance the level of road safety of students, they can:
- Introduce students to the simple rules of safe road behavior, as in the exclusive use of crossings and traffic lights, to avoid dangerous toys inside and outside the school, on the road etc..
- To select with strict criteria the vehicles they use for the movements of the students and to make sure that they are perfectly suitable (recently tested, have seat belts, firefighting equipment etc.), in order to ensure safe transport conditions.
- To monitor the road behavior of drivers and escorts, used on school buses.
- To inform the local Traffic Services before making an excursion, to check the bus and its driver, but also information of all Traffic Services along the route of the excursion.
- Visit the "traffic education parks", to educate students in safe traffic.
The above does not shift the work of the Traffic Police to parents and teachers, but at the same time and jointly due to their position can make a decisive contribution to the prevention of road accidents.
The drivers they can:
- When passing outside kindergartens, kindergartens, schools, playgrounds and parks where they circulate, students and young children attend and play, to drive with increased attention and slower speed.
- When carrying small children and students, to use the rear seat, special seats and seat belts.
More useful tips are available on the official website of the Greek Police www.hellenicpolice.gr , in the section "Citizen's Guide".
The General Regional Police Directorate of Western Macedonia, καθ’ throughout this school year, will be next to students, parents and teachers, to whom he wishes good, safe and constructive school year.
The Greek Police reminds that road safety is a matter for all of us.