A dead bear was found on the night of p. Wednesday 28-07-2021 by men of the Kozani Traffic Police who informed about the incident by phone, the Kozani Forest Office of the Decentralized Administration of Epirus-Western Macedonia.
Immediately a ladder of the Kozani Forest Service went to the specific point in order to conduct an autopsy.
A team of the Egnatia Odos Emergency Response Team also rushed to the spot., Kozani Traffic crew to ensure the safe traffic of vehicles as well as members of the Emergency Response Teams of the Environmental Organizations "Arcturos" and "Kallisto".
According to the on-site autopsy, The existence of a dead young male bear on the Egnatia Odos was 184,5The km, who suffered a major injury to the right side of her body, which was apparently caused by a collision with a passing vehicle.
Following suggestions from the Kozani Forest Service, the Egnatia Odos Emergency Response Team, took over the management of the dead animal.
The forest services of the Decentralized Administration of Epirus-Western Macedonia, were once again put on alert and mobilized immediately, after the information about the appearance of a bear with her teddy bear, in the suburban area of Ai-Lias-Niaimeros-Aeliostrata of the Municipal Community of the Municipality of Kozani.
Specifically, after posting on a local site for a bear show with her little one in the early hours of Saturday 31-07-2021 on the road to Profitis Ilias near the train station of the Municipality of Kozani, Kozani Forest Service Emergency Response Team visited the area to investigate the incident.
We remind you that in the specific area where beekeepers are active, Last year, a bear appeared with her little one.
For the better surveillance of the region it was decided by the Decentralized Administration of Epirus-Western Macedonia, to be carried out daily on a 24-hour basis patrols in the wider area by ladders of the Kozani Forest Service.
Residents of the city of Kozani are kindly requested to be especially careful during their movements in the specific area and in case they notice the appearance of a bear to immediately inform the Kozani Forest Service by calling the number : 24610-95505 from the 07:00 a.m. until 22:00 pm. or the Kozani Police Department.
The Decentralized Administration of Epirus-Western Macedonia due to the seasonal activity of wild animals, especially bears near residential areas / settlements and in the context of the implementation of the protocol for dealing with incidents of approach-interaction of bears and humans, Recalls and recommends protection measures to address the problems posed by the wild-bear approach and the proper management of the phenomenon.
For the most complete information and safety of the citizens, follow instructions and precautions in cases of approaching a bear in residential areas.
- Early collection of fruit trees and avoidance of second-hand fruit collection within crop boundaries or illegally in forest areas.
- Garbage collection from outdoor areas, squares, house yards as well as anything else that can be a food source for the bear.
- Avoid throwing litter out of bins or at night in areas where traffic has been observed or is a bear habitat, so that the bins are clean at night.
- Repair fences or install electrified fencing where possible, for the protection of agricultural and livestock capital.
- Adequate lighting around the plots, livestock facilities, etc..
- Plot cleaning, crops or other plants from dense vegetation as well as clearing of last year's crop residues that may be present in fields.
- Special care is recommended for pet owners and breeders, who should insure their animals at night and not leave dead animals exposed.
- Guarding herds and livestock facilities by shepherd dogs.
- Avoid dumping household waste in landfills and keeping them close to residential areas / settlements.
- In case of a human-bear meeting :
- We do not run
- We stay still
- We do not move threateningly towards the animal with various objects such as stones, branches etc..
- We step back gradually leaving room for the bear to escape
- We make sure to make constant noise when we are outdoors.