Fraud was detected in an area of Ptolemaida
A case was filed against two people, while for the same case the details of another person are sought to be identified
He was investigated by police officers of the Eordaia Security Department for fraud, which took place in an area of Ptolemaida and a relevant criminal case was filed at the expense of two locals, 31 and 29 years, while for the same case the details of another person are sought to be identified.
Specifically, a native complained that he had been deceived, as well as two months ago, after a telephone conversation with the 31-year-old for the sale of items, intended for recycling, total monetary value 3.600 euro, the 31-year-old, presenting false facts as true, managed to convince him to make the purchase.
Subsequently, the 29-year-old, with another person, whose details are sought to be identified, after they went by car. car in the area of Ptolemaida, received the above items from the native, without paying the agreed amount of money, while then, the above cut off all communication with him.
The case file will be submitted to Mr.. Kozani Court of First Instance Prosecutor, while the preliminary investigation is carried out by the Eordaia Security Department.
On the occasion of this incident, the General Regional Police Directorate of Western Macedonia reminds some useful tips to the citizens to avoid being deceived by buying and selling items.
The perpetrators use two different methodologies (modus operandi), described as follows:
a) The perpetrators appear as potential buyers
- through the Internet, search and find online classifieds for sale of items, of all types, in order to deceive their owners,
- after coming into contact with the owners of the objects, agree on the purchase and the transaction price,
- subsequently, show the seller either a non-existent account number, which shows a fake electronic transfer of the transaction price to his account, or forged remittance transfers to the aforementioned account,
- the perpetrators, having in their possession the object disappear, without paying the corresponding price and usually resell it immediately.
b) The perpetrators appear as sellers
- submit online advertisements for the sale of virtual objects, of all types, with the aim of deceiving potential buyers. In many cases they offer the items for sale at attractive prices,
- prospective buyers contact them without having seen in most cases the item for sale, are convinced of the solvency of the alleged seller and agree to his purchase,
- subsequently, pay to the account of a Credit Institution indicated to them by the perpetrators the agreed price, as an advance. In some cases, when the item to be purchased is located in a remote area, are persuaded and pay a price for its transportation,
- the perpetrators, provided that the money has been paid into the account designated by them, terminate all communication with the prospective buyer and disburse the amount deposited directly to the Credit Institution.
It is emphasized that the perpetrators avoid personal presence with the victims, seeking solely telephone communication with them, through various telephone connections or the mediation of third parties, to minimize the risk of their detection and arrest.