Kawasaki disease is a rare disease that affects children. Causes fever and inflammation of blood vessels. Sometimes it looks like other diseases. Read our article today to find out more about’ this disease.
Η νόσος Καβασάκι είναι μια σπάνια διαταραχή στα παιδιά. Its frequency is not very high, but it is important for doctors to know its existence in order to detect it in case it happens to a child.
The key point in this disease is the inflammation of the blood vessels. It does not distinguish between veins and arteries, both can be affected.
also, is capable of causing inflammation of the lymph nodes and mucous membranes of the face, such as those found in the nose and mouth. For this reason, Kawasaki disease is sometimes called mucosal-dermal-lymph node syndrome.
Generally, affected children under 5 years. It is more common in boys, but the frequency difference between the two sexes is minimal. Some ethnic groups are more likely to develop the disease than others, like the Japanese.
Η αιτία και η προέλευσή της δεν είναι ξεκάθαρες. Some theories refer to the intervention of microorganisms in the activation of symptoms, but researchers could not prove them. Some doctors also suspect a genetic predisposition, although they have not yet understood exactly how it works.
Kawasaki Disease - Symptoms
Kawasaki disease goes through three stages:
- The initial symptom is a high fever, about 40ºC for 72 hours. Usually, Accompanied by spotless conjunctivitis and skin rashes on the chest and genital area.
- Conjunctivitis plus skin rash disorients doctors when treating a patient for the first time. If the lymph nodes are inflamed, then subcutaneous swelling occurs. This usually occurs in the lymph nodes of the neck and is accompanied by an increase in the size of the arms and legs..
- Στη δεύτερη φάση των συμπτωμάτων αρχίζει να ξεφλουδίζει το δέρμα. Irritated and inflamed skin begins to peel in large quantities, especially at the extremities. There is a case of gastroenteritis with vomiting and diarrhea, as well as joint pain. The fever subsides, usually, at this stage.
- End, in the final stage, no new symptoms of the disease appear, αλλά όσα υπήρχαν εξαφανίζονται σιγά-σιγά. Η ανάρρωση είναι μακρά and the child will find it difficult to regain the level of activity he had before the illness.
How is the diagnosis made?;
Οι παγκόσμιες ιατρικές ενώσεις έχουν αναπτύξει έναν οδηγό με κριτήρια για τη διάγνωση της νόσου Καβασάκι. There should always be fever along with four of the following symptoms:
- Swelling of the limbs
- Strawberry language (swollen and abnormal) and dry lips
- Δέρμα που ξεφλουδίζει at the upper or lower extremities
- Rash with a slightly repetitive pattern
- Swollen lymph nodes in the neck
- Επιπεφυκίτιδα with red eyes
Along with observing the symptoms, ο γιατρός θα πρέπει να αποκλείσει άλλες ασθένειες which may resemble Kawasaki disease. If you have reasonable suspicions, you should ask for an echocardiogram which will detect inflammation in the blood vessels.
Kawasaki Disease - Treatment
Treatment for Kawasaki disease is based on γ-globins, aspirins, και αντιπηκτικά. Στόχος είναι να σταματήσει ο σχηματισμός ανευρύσματος due to inflammation of blood vessels.
Γ-globins enter intravenously and are an important tool to stop the complications caused by the disease. Actually, οι γιατροί έχουν παρατηρήσει ότι there is great benefit in preventing coronary artery changes.
Doctors use aspirin as an anti-inflammatory. Fortunately, It can also reduce fever and relieve pain, something that will help with the other symptoms, such as joint pain.
Η ασπιρίνη είναι known to have some side effects in children, That is why we recommend that you closely monitor patients receiving this treatment.
About it 10% Children with this disease continue to have problems after recovery, mainly with the coronary arteries. These can even appear in 10% of patients who have been treated in a timely manner, That is why we advise you to continue the monitoring with additional methods.
A rare but treatable disease
Unlike other diseases, η νόσος Καβασάκι έχει πλάνο θεραπείας. Η επιτυχία του εξαρτάται κατά πολύ από τη σωστή και έγκαιρη διάγνωση. In Asian countries, doctors are better aware of its detection, but incidents have been reported around the world. If all the conditions we mentioned are met, then you may have a case of Kawasaki disease in your hands.