The big question for any such diet is one: operates; Most aim for fast - sometimes dramatic- weight loss, just to start regaining the lost pounds at the end of the diet.
The most worrying thing is that many diets that suddenly become "fashionable" are based on extreme scientific data or simply… no scientific data at all, anticipating dietary practices that are unhealthy and can make you sick.
The British Dietetic Association (British Dietetic Association) It supports that "There is no miracle diet you can follow without any relative health risk".
A "fashion" diet is usually a low calorie diet with no variety of foods, or an unusual combination of foods.
Those who follow them can lose weight very quickly initially, but soon get bored and return to their old eating habits and end up gaining weight again and with the above.
Diet: 5 reasons to avoid "fashion" diets
1. Some diets can make you sick
Many diets, especially very abrupt diets, are aimed at dramatically reducing the number of calories you consume.
"These diets make you feel very unwell and you can not function properly", says dietitian Ursula Arens. "Because they are nutritionally unbalanced, can lead to long-term adverse health effects ", he adds.
2. Excluding food groups is dangerous
Some diets recommend cutting out certain food families, such as meat, fish, wheat or dairy products.
This could prevent you from getting the nutrients and vitamins your body needs to function properly.. It is possible to lose weight without cutting out food from your diet.
3. Low Carb Diets Can Be High In Fat
Some diets are very low in carbohydrates (such as pasta, bread and rice), which are an important source of energy.
Although you can lose weight with these types of diets, they are often high in protein and fat, something that can make you sick. Low carb diets can also cause side effects such as bad breath, headaches and constipation.
Many low carb diets allow you to eat foods high in saturated fat., such as butter, cheese and meat.
Too much saturated fat can increase your cholesterol and increase your risk of heart disease and stroke.
4. Detox diets do not work
These diets are based on the idea that toxins accumulate in the body and can be removed by eating or avoiding certain foods.. But there is no evidence that toxins accumulate in our body. If they did, we would feel very sick.
Detox diets can lead to weight loss, because they include calorie restriction, cut some foods altogether, such as wheat or dairy products and the consumption of a very limited range of foods.
"Detox diets do not work«, says Arens. "In fact, is a form of modified fasting ".
5. The cabbage soup diet, the diet depending on the blood group, the diet 5: 2 and other "fashion" diets are based on extreme scientific data
Some diets are based on eating only one food or meal, such as cabbage soup, chocolate or eggs.
Other diets recommend eating only certain combinations based on genetic formula., or blood type.
There is often little or no scientific evidence to support these diets and they can be difficult to maintain in the long run..
"If followed for long periods of time, these diets can be bad for your health ", says Arens. "You can lose weight in the short term, but it is much better to lose weight gradually and be healthy ".
Diet: How To Lose Weight In A Healthy Way - The Basic Principles
We gain weight, when the amount of calories we consume exceeds the amount of calories we burn through daily activities and exercise. Most adults need to eat less and become more active.
The only way to lose weight healthily and not lose weight again is to make permanent changes in the way you eat and exercise..
Some small changes, such as consuming less food in general and choosing drinks with lower fat content, sugar and alcohol, can help you lose weight.
There are also many ways to make physical activity a part of your life.
If you are overweight, aim to lose approximately 5 to 10% of your initial weight losing 0,5 to 1 kg per week.
You should be able to lose this weight if you consume approximately daily 500 to 600 fewer calories than,what usually.
An average man needs about 2.500 calories a day and an average woman about 2.000 calories to stay at the same pounds.
Diet: Simple principles to succeed in any diet
- To reduce the amount of fat you eat, you can remove the fat from the meat, drink skim milk instead of whole milk and choose low-fat products.
- Choose whole grains, such as bread, brown rice and pasta. They are digested more slowly than the white varieties, so they will help you feel full for more.
- Do not skip breakfast. A healthy breakfast will give you the energy you need to start your day and there is some evidence that people who eat breakfast regularly are less likely to be overweight..
- The goal is to eat at least 5 servings of various fruits and vegetables a day.
- If you feel the need for snacks, try drinking a glass of water first, or a cup of tea. We often think we are hungry, while in fact we are thirsty.
- Swap high-calorie beverages for other low-calorie drinks. This means drinks with a lower fat content, sugars and alcohol. Swap a sugary fizzy drink for a fizzy drink with a slice of lemon. Do not forget that alcohol has many calories, so reducing alcohol can help you control your weight.