Water is essential for our survival. The slightest reduction in the body, whatever the cause, puts him on alert. Thirst is the first suspicious sign. Fatigue follows, maybe a little headache, bad mood and many other symptoms.
"We are constantly losing water through breathing, of urination, skin and defecation. We have to replenish it every day, constantly, through the consumption of fluids and food ", he says Dr. Toby Mündel, associate professor στη Σχολή Άσκησης, Sports & Nutrition of Massey University, in New Zealand.
Most healthy people effectively regulate the water balance in their body through diet. This setting, Nevertheless, is difficult for infants, patients and the elderly. It is also difficult for athletes and those who do heavy manual work in the heat.
Πόσο νερό χρειαζόμαστε
According to experts, The body's daily needs for water and fluids are in winter 2 liters for women and 2,5 liters for men. The summer, Nevertheless, these needs are increased by 1 liter in both sexes.
These quantities do not come entirely from drinking water. There are many sources of fluids in our daily diet, from soups and salads to dairy and coffees.
A general rule is that in the context of hygiene, balanced diet, 4-6 glasses of water a day είναι αρκετά για τους υγιείς ανθρώπους. These quantities, Nevertheless, μπορεί να είναι μεγάλες:
- For those suffering from certain diseases (e.g. certain thyroid diseases, of the kidneys, of the liver, of the heart)
- For those taking medicines that cause water retention (e.g. non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, opioid analgesics, some antidepressants)
instead, μπορεί να είναι μικρές για όσους γυμνάζονται σκληρά και όσους κάνουν βαριά χειρωνακτική εργασία (therefore they sweat a lot) especially in the heat. «People dripping with sweat, may be needed 2-3 glasses of water per hour of hard work or training», he says nephrologist Dr. Julian L. Seifter, Associate Professor of Medicine at Harvard University.
What water needs depend on
In fact, There are many factors that determine how much water (from all sources) our body needs. These factors include the following, according to Dr. ward:
- The size and composition of the body (body weight, lean muscle tissue, fat)
- How intense is the sweating. It is a function of various factors. These include physical activity, the manual work, the temperature and humidity of the environment and the workplace, the clothing
- How intense is urination (certain drugs play a role, the high altitude etc.)
- The state of health (fever, vomiting, diarrhea excrete fluids from the body, various diseases affect the needs)
- The nutrition (if one consumes a lot of foods with a high water content, a lot of carbohydrates etc.)
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding also play a role, especially in women.
What does thirst mean?
As Dr. explains. ward, when the feeling of thirst develops, the body is already slightly dehydrated. This means that the thirst mechanism is below the actual level of hydration of the body.
Μελέτες έχουν δείξει πως when we are just dehydrated 1%, they are negatively affected:
- The mental mood
- The attention
- The memory
- The coordination of movements
If we do not drink water immediately, to replenish missing fluids, urinary retention by the kidneys will begin. Then a sequence of reactions that affects the heart will begin, blood pressure, thermoregulation and many other functions of the body.