The use of a mask is completely safe, easy way to apply and the most economical way of dealing with COVID-19 for children aged from 2 years and older. Great emphasis must of course be given to the proper education by the family and school environment for its proper use.
The President of the Hellenic Pediatric Society Professor of Pediatrics Andreas Konstantopoulos, αναφέρεται στην αναγκαιότητα χρήσης της μάσκας των μαθητών στα σχολεία για την προστασία από τον κορονοϊό και καταρρίπτει μύθους που κυκλοφορούν τελευταία στο διαδίκτυο.
As he states:
"Many pediatricians, Doctors of other specialties and our parents send many messages about the use of the mask to children. We all know that the new coronavirus (SARS-COV-2) is here and affects all ages, from infancy to old age. Of course there are those, despite the millions of cases and the loss of hundreds of thousands of lives worldwide, do not accept the presence of the virus and insist on transmitting fake news. The evidence for the existence and danger of the virus is the visit to an intensive care unit and the monitoring by a separating glass for a long period of time of the patients. Preventive measures are known. Washing hands, keeping distance and using a mask. At the stage we are at today, the only weapon, "What we have in our hands to protect children is the use of a mask."
The 9th reason of Pediatrics for the use of mask in schools
1) Σε ποιες ηλικίες μπορεί να χρησιμοποιηθεί η μάσκα;
The mask can be used on all children over 2 years. Both the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American CDC and the World Pediatric Society recommend the mask to children over the age of 2 years.
2) Η χρήση της μάσκας δημιουργεί πρόβλημα στην αναπνοή:
NO. Even when the child is playing or running at break. The case of intense gymnastic exercise is excluded (but then long distances must be observed) or cases of chronic severe respiratory problem, usually hereditary.
3) Η μάσκα παρεμβαίνει στην ανάπτυξη των πνευμόνων;
NO. No evidence of lung involvement has been found in people who use the mask for long periods of time.. Damage to the lung parenchyma is mainly caused by infections, that the mask protects.
4) Μπορεί η μάσκα να εξασθενήσει το αμυντικό(immunological) child system;
OXI. The mask has no effect on the defense system, on the contrary it protects it.
5) Η μάσκα προστατεύει μόνο από λοίμωξη COVID-19;
The use of a mask protects against the flu, COVID-19 and other viral infections of the respiratory system. Every year after Christmas most schools almost closed for 1-1.5 months because of the flu. These masked kids will not get sick.
6) Τι μάσκα πρέπει να χρησιμοποιούμε;
The fabric masks, recommended for children, from all organizations. Of course, it should be a different size for young children than for older children. It should be comfortable and worn properly. And here is the point of attention!!. In teaching the child to use it properly. It is also very important that parents follow the rules for its thorough cleaning .
7) Μπορεί το παιδί να μάθει να φορά τη μάσκα σωστά;
Children learn very easily and assimilate instructions – sometimes much easier than adults. There are several ways to teach very young children to wear and tolerate the mask . Wear a mask on your child's favorite pet, parents and children to wear a mask in front of the mirror, to explain to them that with the mask we try to keep away the "bad" germs, to accept questions and answer them. Our children learn so much from a very young age that really a practical application will not cause them any problems at all and the knowledge will be assimilated immediately. As long as it is done correctly! Educating children about mask use should be done in addition to parents and teachers, that children should help especially in the beginning until they get acquainted.
8) Είναι επικίνδυνη η μάσκα και για πόσο χρόνο μπορεί να χρησιμοποιηθεί;
The mask is part of a daily routine in other geographical areas, such as. in the Far East many years before the advent of COVID-19.
9) What are the benefits of using the mask;
1. Protects against the transmission of COVID-19
2. Protects against the flu
3. There is additional benefit to helping reduce the spread of other acute viral respiratory infections.
4. The children do not get sick and at the same time the elderly people that the children come in contact with are protected (grandparents)
5. Children are not forced to be absent and drop out of school. We will use the COVID-19 vaccine once we have the efficacy test, approval for safe use and production adequacy. Until then we will have to deal with the virus with the means at our disposal. It should be emphasized that Greece is the ONLY country in the world that provides FREE all vaccines in the National Vaccination Program.
in conclusion, the mask protects against the transmission of COVID-19 and other viral infections. The use of a mask is completely safe, easy way to apply and the most economical way of dealing with COVID-19 for children aged from 2 years and older. Great emphasis must of course be given to the proper education by the family and school environment for its proper use.