The period we are going through, walking towards the heart of summer, is objectively a period of high temperatures. Οι ημέρες του καύσωνα αποτελούν ένα ακόμα καμπανάκι κινδύνου για την εργατική τάξη.
This also applies to open spaces (construction sites etc.), where there is direct sun exposure, but also indoors, where either due to construction or due to labor factors (e.g. engine operation) working conditions will be unbearable and destructive. In the name of continuing production, των προθεσμιών για την παράδοση του έργου ή των εμπορευμάτων, of “customer service”, of “competitiveness” employees are forced by large employers at the risk of their health to work until the final fall.
Opposite us we have, except for the capitalists of the industry, and another insidious opponent: Heat and humidity also have immediate negative effects (strain, dehydration, sunstroke, increase in the risk of accidents at work), but also long-term effect in chronic diseases (heart diseases etc.). There is no room for complacency, no rest under the pretext of how each of us perceives our physical endurance. Much more when, for these issues, no one else is going to take care of our health except ourselves and our class unions..
Profitability is a top priority for employers. Profits and labor interests are incompatible, That is why no effective measures are ever taken to protect the health of workers. We can not expect more from the state and its control mechanisms either. We will see standard announcements again, warnings and wish lists, without any strict application even of the current legislation.
The Kozani Builders' Union demands the protection of the health and life of the workers, in the next few days when the temperatures will be too high to immediately stop the work at the outdoor construction sites after the 12:00 και να καταβληθούν κανονικά τα ημερομίσθια των εργαζομένων.
It is the responsibility of the state and the employers during the summer to take all the necessary measures to protect colleagues for this.:
- Άμεση διακοπή όλων των υπαίθριων εργασιών όταν η θερμοκρασία ξεπεράσει τους 38 The Respectively, immediate cessation of work in particularly heavily heated areas. Full payment of the wage without any cuts.
- Abstention from work, when heat conditions prevail, employees in high-risk groups (heart patients, lung patients, diabetics, kidney patients). Full payment of the wage.
- Limit heavy work when temperature and humidity conditions create suffocating conditions.
- Provide continuous drinking water to employees near their workplace. Creating suitable air-conditioned break areas for the rest of the employees, more frequent breaks when work does not stop and there are high temperatures (15 minutes per 1 time) without any change in working hours.
- Establishment of a state body of occupational physicians and safety technicians integrated in an exclusively public health system, abolition of business activity in the field of OSH.
- Occupational risk assessment by the Occupational Physician and the Safety Technician and implementation by the employers, all necessary technical and organizational measures for the effective protection of the health and safety of workers.
Establishment of a state body of Occupational Physicians and Safety Technicians integrated in an exclusively