Three days of national mourning The death of Mikis Theodorakis was announced by Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis at the Cabinet of Ministers on Thursday 2 September.
National mourning can be proclaimed by the death of many people after a natural disaster, a terrorist attack or some other unfortunate event, as well as from the fact of the death of a very important person for a nation or people. It is characterized by mourning that brings about and memory activities that are observed in the majority of the population of a country.
Minutes, as a sign of mourning, the state in some cases decides to close public services or schools, the hoisting of the flags for one or more days.
A similar manifestation of shorter duration of mourning is the observance of a minute's silence in gatherings and gatherings., ενώ ένας άλλος τρόπος ένδειξης πένθους είναι η ανάρτηση μαύρων κορδελών.
Black ribbons can be hung on building facades, in car antennas, but also on the edge of the screen in TV shows and websites.
National mourning is a term that describes the sign of mourning that comes from grief and sorrow for an unfortunate event and is officially proclaimed by the governments of states..
The Greek state has declared national mourning in the following cases:
- In March 1994 after the death of Melina Mercouri
- In April 1998 for the death of Konstantinos Karamanlis
- Its summer 2007 for the extensive fires that have hit the country in many parts of it, with Ilia accepting the greatest catastrophe and which brought death at least 63 people
- In January 2008 για τον θάνατο του Μακαριστού Αρχιεπίσκοπου Αθηνών και πάσης Ελλάδος Χριστόδουλου της Ορθόδοξης Ανατολικής Εκκλησίας της Ελλάδος
- In November 2017 for the deadly floods of Western Attica that cost her life in 23 people in Mandra
- In July 2018 after the catastrophic fires of Attica that broke out in its western and eastern part and resulted in the loss of dozens of people in the second with the area with the most deaths and the affected eye.
- In September 2021 for the death of Mikis Theodorakis
Mikis Theodorakis: The country was declared in three days of national mourning, the Mitsotakis statement
The country was declared in three days of national mourning for the loss of the great composer Mikis Theodorakis, the statement of Kyriakos Mitsotakis at the Ministry.
Unfortunately, our meeting today is overshadowed by very sad news: Mikis Theodorakis now passes into eternity. His voice was silenced and with him the whole of Hellenism was silenced.
As it was written about Palamas, "We all forgot he was mortal". Nevertheless, he leaves us his songs, his political action, but also its national offer at critical moments.
Romiosyni is crying today. Και γι’ αυτό και με απόφαση της κυβέρνησης από σήμερα κηρύσσεται τριήμερο εθνικό πένθος.
As you know, I had the honor to know him for many years and relatively recently I had even visited him. His advice has always been valuable to me, mainly those that concerned the unity of our people and the transcendence of dividing lines.
I believe that the best honor for this global Greek will be us, with our daily work, to put this very message into practice. Mikis is our History and we must continue it as he would like.