Online fraud detection in Ptolemaida
A case was filed against a 41-year-old citizen
Police of the Eordea Security Department investigated internet fraud, which took place in Ptolemaida and a case was filed against a 41-year-old citizen.
Specifically, a native complained that he had been deceived, as well as after communication with the 41-year-old, via Web (online ad), was convinced and carried her 19-02-2021 in a bank account the amount of -500- euros as a down payment on rent, without it being in the possession of the 41-year-old.
After a police investigation and proper use of data, the details of the 41-year-old were identified, against whom a criminal case was filed for fraud. The case file will be submitted to Mr.. Kozani Court of First Instance Prosecutor, while the preliminary investigation is carried out by the Eordaia Security Department.
On the occasion of this incident, the General Regional Police Directorate of Western Macedonia reminds some useful tips to the citizens to avoid being deceived via the internet:
- Avoid advancing money to private sellers, whom they do not know, even if they disclose their details or their bank account number.
- Be especially wary when they find ads for the sale of vehicles-motorcycles-mobiles at attractive prices, as a "market opportunity".
- In any case, to seek the intersection of the truth of the sale of a vehicle-motorcycle, their technical examination (in an authorized workshop preferably) before the transaction as well as the demonstration of their marketing authorization, in order to, as far as possible, exclusion of a stolen vehicle-motorcycle case.
- Seek meeting scheduling (appointment) for demonstration of the vehicle to be done in busy places and places and not in deserted locations, for security reasons.
- In case they find out that they have fallen victim to cyber fraud, please notify the Police immediately, even in the event of an attempted fraud against them.
It is emphasized that the perpetrators avoid personal presence with the victims, seeking solely telephone communication with them, through various telephone connections or the mediation of third parties, to minimize the risk of their detection and arrest.