The crucial role of exercise in controlling the factors that trigger migraine attacks. See what the data reveals.
Exercise has been around for years as a possible way to reduce the factors that trigger migraine attacks, a new study, Nevertheless, indicates that it could be particularly effective against major triggers of migraine attacks such as stress, depression and sleep problems.
"It's a complicated relationship, but we know that exercise, generally, helps increase the levels of good neurotransmitters, such as dopamine, norepinephrine and serotonin, which contribute not only to fewer headaches, but also in a better mood and overall mental and physical condition ", explains Dr.. Mason Dyess of the University of Washington School of Medicine.
In addition, Exercise improves heart health, which in turn helps in weight management, equally related to better migraine control.
This study, to be presented at the American Academy of Neurology Annual Conference in April, included more than 4.600 people diagnosed with migraine, of which the 75% experienced more than 15 crises per month, While the remainder 25% experienced less than 14.
Study participants completed a questionnaire about their migraine characteristics, the sleep, depression, stress and anxiety. They answered, also, to questions about whether they engaged in some moderate or high-intensity exercise each week, like jogging, the very fast walking, some sport, the heavy chores of the house and the bicycle.
The researchers divided the participants into five groups according to the frequency of exercise, from at all to 150 minutes per week, which is the minimum recommended by the World Health Organization. From all individuals, just the 27% exercised at this minimum or more.
According to the findings, people who exercised less than recommended had increased rates of depression, stress and sleep problems. Specifically, the 47% those who did not exercise had depression, the 39% had anxiety and the 77% had sleep problems. On the contrary, the 25% of the most active group had depression, the 28% had anxiety and the 61% had sleep problems.
The study found, also, a link between exercise and the frequency of headaches. In the group that was not practiced at all, the 5% of participants had from 0 to 4 headaches per month, while many more -25%- had more than 25 headache days each month. In the increased exercise group, the 10% had a low frequency of headaches and the 28% had high.
Generally, Scientists urge migraine sufferers to be very careful in their exercise routine. "Consistency is the key, whether it is exercise or other activities, such as caffeine control, the hours of sleep and wakefulness, food and hydration ", emphasize features.
They note, end, how this preliminary study shows only a link between exercise and the factors that trigger migraines, without proving a cause-effect relationship.