Η Διεύθυνση Αγροτικής Οικονομίας και Κτηνιατρικής Π.Ε. Kozani, reminds growers of the adverse effects it brings to the soil, in the environment and in human health the phenomenon of burning reeds. It is reminded that burning of plant residues is prohibited (cereals, maize, sunflower etc.) and that sanctions are imposed under the Multiple Compliance under the Single Aid.
This is a practice that it offers nothing positive, but on the contrary it causes significant negative effects:
- In soil fertility, by destroying organic matter, consequently undermining future returns. Vegetable residues contain large amounts of nutrients, including nitrogen, which with the combustion completely loses the atmosphere. So the burning of plant residues means huge losses of nitrogen, which while it could be recycled for the benefit of soil fertility and the producer, is transferred to the atmosphere by exacerbating the problem of greenhouse gases.
- In reducing water infiltration of rain and irrigation in the ground. Various lipophilic residues of the residues attach to the soil particles that make them hydrophobic after burning.. This means that it is caused poor drainage of the field.
- Due to poor drainage they are more common suffocating phenomena in plants and fungal diseases increase significantly both the root system, as well as the aboveground part of the plants.
- also, consequence of the above (destruction of organic matter, poor drainage, root diseases) is poor plant nutrition. Organic matter is the vehicle for transporting nutrients to the roots.
- The burning does not fight insects overwintering in the reed (rocket. sesame seeds). It has been proven for many decades that, for various reasons related to the biology of these insects (rest), with the relatively high speed of the flame and with the anatomy of the corn of the corn (severe sclerosis under the cortex and hysteroscopic intravenous), the larvae of these insects are not killed by burning, which eventually does not limit their populations.
- The burning does not fight insects those that overwinter within the ground (such as corrosive), because of the depth to which the heat of the fire reaches is proven to be small. Unlike combustion the populations of natural enemies are decimated that overwinter in the ground , which due to their tiny size are vulnerable to fire. Natural enemies are those who keep the insect-hostile populations of crops low. (rocket, sesame seeds, corrosive etc.).
The result of all this is that the populations of the enemies of the crop are not affected, resulting in an increase in infestations in the next growing season.
- Combustion causes increased soil erosion and loss of surface, fertile soil with runoff, especially on sloping soils. The long-term consequence of erosion is desertification.
- They are also a matter of great importance health effects mainly vulnerable groups (children, elderly, patients) due to respiratory and other problems recorded when the reeds are burned.
- Finally, burning is common cause of fires. The Fire Service makes indictments in many cases of burning plant residues in accordance with applicable Firefighting Provisions..
The benefit to the soil from the good filtration and retention of more rainwater and from the reduction of its evaporation, is directly related to good seed germination. Humidity retention is as good as soil cover from plant debris.. For these reasons, burning the reed should be avoided.
The benefits of not burning reeds are far greater than the difficulties that can be caused by crop residues..
The following steps should be taken:
- Preferred threshing machines with waste disposal.
- Direct incorporation into the soil or reed grazing and incorporation into the soil of the residue after grazing.
- In case of many residues, their deconstruction can be assisted by addition 2 nitrogen units (e.g. 8-10 kilos of sulfur ammonia per acre) before plowing. This amount of fertilizer is not lost from the soil and we calculate it by removing it from the fertilizers of the next crop..
Any producer who submits a crop declaration (Ο.Σ.Δ.Ε.) undertakes the obligation to comply with the Codes of Good Agricultural Practice, in the framework of the Multiple Compliance according to which the burning of the reed is not recommended.
Consequently, and in accordance with the spirit of the internationally accepted scientific practice, no fuel licenses are issued.. In exceptional cases and after sufficient justification, η Διεύθυνση Αγροτικής Οικονομίας & Veterinary medicine may grant permission to those interested, if there is a special reason sufficiently justified (Opinion from the State Research Foundation, e.g.. Benakeio Phytopathological Institute, Agricultural Schools etc.).
Η Πυροσβεστική Υπηρεσία δεν έχει αρμοδιότητα να παρέχει άδεια για καύση της καλαμιάς χωρίς τη σύμφωνη γνώμη της Διεύθυνσης Αγροτικής Οικονομίας & Veterinary Medicine. In addition, in cases of violations other than the prescribed criminal penalties, ο Ο.Π.Ε.Κ.Ε.Π.Ε. according to the Code of Good Agricultural Practice imposes legal sanctions related to the reduction of subsidies.
For all these reasons, growers are kindly requested not to burn plant residues in their fields..