The new bill being drafted by the Ministry of Education for HEIs was presented by Minister Niki Kerameos at the Extraordinary Synod of Rectors held yesterday. Among the upcoming settings, indicated in a relevant announcement, is "Erasmus" interior, joint and dual degrees, student start-ups and the provision of services by university laboratories to citizens and institutions, industrial doctorates and changes in DOATAP ".
particularly, included, "Enabling the establishment of professional postgraduate and employment experts from the labor market, rationalization of the free tuition regime in postgraduate courses with the introduction of conditions of excellence and social criteria ". also, "The establishment of research centers and inter-institutional research centers within the Universities in cooperation with Universities abroad, Possibility of staffing with self-employed researchers, private and international resources, attracting visiting professors and researchers and promoting researcher exchange actions ".
Changes the framework of organization and operation of "Companies for the Utilization and Management of University Assets according to the standards of public limited companies".
It is strengthened, reports the ministry, the role of University Lifelong Learning Centers, while summer / winter study programs will be established.
About him DOATAP, "Reducing bureaucracy" for the academic recognition of diplomas by foreign institutions, that is, for international students who want to continue their studies in Greece. A Register of academically recognized Universities of abroad and of foreign study programs of each cycle is established, while the submission of an individual application for the issuance of an individual act of academic recognition by citizens who have studied at the above Universities and want to continue their studies in Greece is abolished..
End, "Admission of foreign and Greek students to undergraduate and graduate programs at Greek universities is released, without the obligation of prior recognition of a degree ".
A meeting of his political leadership is scheduled for today Ministry of Education with the Panhellenic Federation of Teaching and Research Staff Associations (Π.Ο.Σ.Δ.Ε.Π.), while a letter has already been sent to all political parties "to discuss the basic regulations of this bill".
Everything is changing in the universities - The four main axes
particularly, as reported by the Ministry of Education, the strengthening of the autonomy of the Universities, the decentralization of responsibilities from the ministry to the HEIs, providing flexibility, interdisciplinarity, Student mobility and the development of extroversion are some of the key concepts that permeate the forthcoming bill. The settings are structured in four sub-main axes, as analyzed below, while the new model of university administration will be included in the bill.
University quality upgrade
Introduce basic settings that focus on curricula, research but also teaching and research staff, as indicative:
- modernization of study programs and upgrading of their quality through their certification by the National Authority of Higher Education before their start of operation,
- possibility of establishing more study programs by one Department, but also the organization of interdisciplinary and dual undergraduate programs in the context of collaborations of Departments of the same or another University,
- flexibility in the structure of the curriculum and selection of courses through the Institutional syllabus - establishment of a system of internal mobility of students between the Greek Universities for an academic semester in a curriculum of another University - even of a similar subject,
- liberalization of the framework for the organization and operation of postgraduate studies, enabling the establishment of professional postgraduate and employment experts from the labor market, rationalization of the free tuition regime in postgraduate courses by introducing conditions of excellence and social criteria,
- possibility of organizing industrial doctorates,
- strengthening research activity through the establishment of research centers and inter-institutional research centers within the Universities in collaboration with Foreign Universities, Possibility of staffing with self-employed researchers, private and international resources, attracting Visiting Professors and Researchers and promoting Researcher exchange actions.
- Complete restructuring of the system of election and development of faculty members that ensures transparency, meritocracy and objectivity.
Enhancing the functionality of universities
- Institutionalization of new development tools to enhance the efficiency and organizational operation of HEIs, in addition to the Organizations and the Internal Regulations, such as drafting a multiannual strategic plan and their individual academic units, digital transformation design, sustainability plan and accessibility plan for people with disabilities. Simplification of the research framework, especially in matters of financial management of research projects / programs with the aim of further enhancing the research activity of the Faculty Members.
Promoting the connection of universities with society
- Strengthening the role of Universities within society, by promoting knowledge and innovation through key settings that focus on:
- Institutionalizing a framework for the establishment of student / doctoral / postdoctoral start-ups and the provision of services by university laboratories to citizens and institutions.
- Modern framework of organization and operation of the Utilization and Management Companies of the Universities according to the standards of public limited companies of public sector interests.
- Strengthening the role of Lifelong Learning Centers of Universities and establishing summer / winter study programs.
Establishment of a new modern and flexible framework for the academic recognition of diplomas by Institutions abroad (i.e.. for international students who want to continue their studies in Greece), which reduces bureaucracy, facilitates the citizen, serves the Universities and supports the development model of the country, reduces bureaucracy and increases efficiency. The basic settings focus on the following:
- Establishment of Registers of academically recognized Universities abroad and of foreign study programs of each cycle,
- abolition of the individual application for the issuance of an individual act of academic recognition by citizens who have studied at the above Universities and want to continue their studies in Greece,
- Liberation of admission of foreign and Greek students to undergraduate and graduate programs at Greek Universities, without the obligation of prior recognition of a degree.