You may have heard of antioxidants in many discussions. However, few people really know what exactly it is and how they work beyond the fact that they do us good. Antioxidants are essential molecules, which deal with free radicals in our body.
Free radicals in turn are ingredients that generally harm our body. That's why we do not want to see them reach high levels. Free radicals are also associated with certain serious diseases, such as cancer, diabetes, heart diseases etc..
The action of antioxidants
Antioxidants actually prevent or slow down the damage that free radicals do to cells. We get them mainly through our diet and they can be so natural, as well as artificially. In other words, they are also prepared in the laboratory.
In addition, and our body itself produces antioxidants, the so-called endogenous antioxidants. Those we receive from external sources are called respectively exogenous antioxidants. Many plants are rich in such substances.
Oxidative stress and how it is caused
Antioxidants, Well, essentially protect our cells. Free radicals create the so-called oxidative stress and destroy them. This stress can be caused by:
– excessive exercise,
– tissue problems and inflammation,
– the consumption of specific foods, especially processed with artificial sweeteners, pigments, preservatives and trans fats,
– exposure to chemicals such as drugs, Drugs, pesticides etc.,
– various environmental factors.
The result is damage to cells and oxidative stress.. However, There are many substances that have antioxidant activity and help our body.
Each of them has its own role. In fact, each substance can be combined with others to help our body effectively. Among the best known antioxidants are: Vitamin A., Vitamin C, Vitamin E., the manganese, the selenium, lycopene, β-carotene, the lutein and zeaxanthin.
Useful sources of antioxidants
The best sources of antioxidants for our body are foods of plant origin. We are talking mainly about fruits and vegetables. These foods are usually called superfoods (superfoods). We are basically talking about dairy, the eggs, fruits and vegetables in general, nuts, vegetable oils, enough cereals etc..
There are often nutritional supplements that we can take, which do not come from citizens edible plants. A classic example is the antioxidant CBD, which comes from the cannabis plant. We can take it in the form of pills or even CBD oil and in other forms. This oil is used most often, we have the ability to add it to all kinds of food and drinks.
Useful tips for greater antioxidant intake
If you want to get the most antioxidants out of your diet, follow the simple and easy tips below:
– Include plenty of fruits and vegetables in your diet.
– For a daily drink, prefer green tea.
– Generally keep in mind that brightly colored foods are the ones that have the most antioxidants.
– Use enough spices in your food to enhance the taste, but also the intake of antioxidants.
– For snacks, prefer nuts and dried fruits, but avoid packaged ones that have a lot of sugar or salt.