FIG: Another summer fruit, full of nutrients. We find it fresh, especially during the summer months, while there is also its dried form, which is available all year round. Like other fruits, so is the fig, is a good nutritional source and its consumption offers our body a large number of vitamins and minerals. Nevertheless, few know how important food is.
“A fresh fig is about 64 grams and has 47 calories. Its consumption may help protect the body against a large number of diseases. The high fiber content helps in better bowel function, preventing the occurrence of constipation, while at the same time helping to lower cholesterol, but also in reducing the risk of colon cancer”, emphasizes the expert. In addition, the fiber contained in figs, according to the American Diabetes Association, make this fruit a powerful ally in diabetics, as consuming it can help regulate diabetes, when of course its recruitment is done in moderation. Yet, the high content:
- In potassium helps reduce hypertension,
- In calcium and phosphorus helps reduce the risk of osteoporosis,
- In antioxidants has the effect of binding free radicals and protecting the body from various types of cancer,
- In omega-3 fatty acids helps reduce triglycerides. The triglycerides, as is known to all of us, is an important factor behind various diseases of the cardiovascular system.
- “End, Consumption of figs may help combat sexual dysfunction, while in ancient times it was used in the treatment of sexually transmitted diseases”, according to the specialist.
By Dionysia Agalioti, Dietitian - Nutritionist, BSc, fb: Διαιτολόγος – Διατροφολόγος Διονυσία Αγαλιώτη